Purina Ultium Competition Horse Formula
Keep your elite equine athlete a step ahead with Ultium® Competition Horse Formula, our most advanced competition feed ever.
Built on decades of equine research, it meets your horse’s high energy demands with Sustained Energy System® for immediate and sustained performance, Amplify® High-Fat Nugget, to promote ideal body condition, and Outlast® Gastric Support Supplement. No other horse feed formula has the same proprietary nutrition technologies or unique ratios of performance ingredients. When others hit the wall, Ultium® Competition helps keep your equine athlete going.
Ultium® Competition Horse Formula Product PDF
Feed Form: Pellets and Extruded Nuggets
Recommended For: Competitive equine athletes and other hard-working horses
Stop into Foreman’s General Store located in Colleyville, Texas for your feed and supplies. A member of our helpful staff will gladly help you find the best feeds for your animals. Have questions? Be sure to contact us. If you need more information about Purina feeds, check out their website.
|Sustained Energy System®
- Ultium® Competition Horse Formula is a unique blend of three (3) fuel sources: Soluble Carbohydrates (starch and sugar), Fats and Fermentable Fiber. The Sustained Energy System® seamlessly “blends” fuel sources to provide a “steady” level of energy. A horse that is mentally focused, controllable and manageable, with a mindset to perform, has the best chance of winning.
|Reduced Starch and Sugar
- Low starch and high fat may reduce the risk of colic and other digestive disturbances that occur when feeding large quantities of grain. Added vegetable oil smoothes the glucose and insulin response to dietary starch and sugar, leveling out blood sugar levels, resulting in a pronounced “calming effect.”
|Unique Blend of Vegetable Oil, Flax Seed and Rice Bran
- A blend of vegetable oil, flax seed and rice bran provides Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to promote healthy immune function, hair coat, skin and hooves. Ultium® Competition Horse Formula is energy dense, resulting in prolonged stamina and endurance while maintaining the equine athlete in peak competitive condition. Provides a reserve of “cool” energy—on demand.
|Targeted Nutrition Delivery™ System
- Transports “repair” nutrients quickly to where they’re needed most. Unique amino acid profile and top-quality fuel sources replenish glycogen and protein stores in muscles. Aids in muscle repair with less muscle fatigue for faster “bounce back” and readiness to perform when called upon—competition after competition. It’s energy in reserve. Horse is more elastic and fit, stretching out when asked to. Promotes muscle tone and a strong top line.
Patented Feed Form— High Quality Ingredients
- Unique, patented “pellets and extruded Amplify® nuggets” prevent sorting, reduces waste and improves stability during storage. Easy to transport, feed and store. Highly digestible and palatable, even for finicky eaters under intense stress of competitive exercise. To accommodate a horse’s smaller stomach, Ultium® Competition Horse Formula is “nutrient dense,” and “highly efficient” so you can “feed less.” No other supplementation is necessary.
Proprietary Technology from a Leader in Equine Sports Nutrition Research
- Purina is at the forefront of the emerging field of sports nutrition. Ultium® Competition Horse Formula represents the culmination of decades of equine research, having been field-tested on hundreds of horses at Purina Animal Nutrition Center in Gray Summit, Mo.,leading universities and across a wide spectrum of competitive disciplines in off-sitefield tests.
|Highly Fermentable Beet Pulp
- Metabolized in the hindgut, this highly digestible fiber source provides slow-releasing energy, which preserves glycogen. Delivers plenty of fuel with “no bottom” while keeping horse in “peak condition.” As with humans, fiber can be associated with good colon health. When a horse feels better, it’s willing to perform at a higher level. Anecdotal evidence in field tests also indicates this formula may be beneficial for horses that have a tendency to ”tie up.”
|Vitamins E, C and Selenium
- Powerful antioxidants destroy “free radicals” and bolster a healthier immune system, reducing muscle damage. Vitamin E also acts as a natural preservative, which improves product shelf life.
|Balance of Vitamins and Minerals Including B-Vitamins, Iron, Copper, Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium
- Blood-building nutrients optimize red blood cell production and increase oxygen capacity in exercising horses. Minerals like copper are also involved in connective tissue like tendons and cartilage. The proper balance of calcium and phosphorus promotes stronger bones.
Ultium® Competition Horse Formula
Start with the amounts given for the weight and class of horse. However, individual horse variation may require feeding rate adjustment by plus or minus 10-15%. Therefore, the horse's body condition should be assessed at regular intervals (every 2-3 weeks) and the amount fed either increased or decreased to maintain the desired body condition.
Changes in diet should be gradual. A 7-10 day period should be allowed to reach recommended feeding rates. Further increases in feeding rate should not exceed one pound per day for an individual horse.
Always feed a minimum of 1 lb per 100 lbs of body weight of good quality hay and/or pasture.
Fresh clean water and salt should be provided free-choice to all horses.
|- WEIGHT OF HORSE IN POUNDS -
|Moderate Work (pounds of feed per day)
|Heavy Work (pounds of feed per day)
|Very Heavy Work (pounds of feed per day)
- Do not feed free-choice
- Feed at regular times (at least twice daily). When feeding rates exceed 1% of body weight, three daily feedings are preferred
- Any feed changes should be made gradually over a period of 7 to 10 days
- Changes in the rate of feeding should not exceed one pound per day for each horse
- Feed along with at least 1-1.5% of horse’s body weight of good quality hay or the equivalent in pasture to make a complete ration
- Have plenty of fresh, clean water available at all times
- Prevent the rapid eating by the horse of any feed stuffs
- Store feed in a dry, well-ventilated area protected from rodents and insects
- Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals as it may cause illness or death
- This product to be fed to the animal species as directed on the label
- In addition to nutritional care and consultation, be sure to make regular veterinary checkups and farrier appointments part of your horse wellness program