Foreman’s General Store is pleased to sponsor the 2014 City of Bedford Backyard BBQ contest on August 29, 2014. The Backyard BBQ Contest is part of the 2014 City of Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival. Find out more about the 3 day festival here.
The Backyard BBQ Contest will be held on Friday, August 29th
The Backyard Contest is targeted at:
- The local backyard BBQ enthusiast.
- The person whose friends and family tell them they create fantastic ribs and chicken at home.
- The person ready to take it to the next level
No trailored, custom rigs allowed. Only mass market grills and ugly drum smokers (UDS’s) If the Pros want to compete, they have to use the grills of us Joes.
Amateur Contest Details & Rules:
- Our Amateur Contest consists of two categories. Chicken and Ribs.
- Chicken can be any piece or cut of chicken. Must provide enough for 6 judges.
- Ribs can be either spares or babyback and must be turned in bone-in.
- Contestant provides their own meat which must be inspected prior to starting to prepare/cook.
- Start at check-in with cold, untreated, raw meat. Meat may be trimmed, but cannot be pre-cooked, soaked, marinated, brined prior to inspection. After meat inspection par-boil them, crock pot them, however you wish as long as at least part of the cooking includes the use of the grill
- KCBS rules will be followed with the following exceptions
- Gas, Charcoal, or other Cooking methods may be used. All Cooking must be done onsite
- Allowed Garnishes: Chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, parsley, or cilantro. NO kale, endive, red tipped lettuce, lettuce core or other vegetation.
- All competitors will have approx a 10’x15’ area to cook in.
- Turn-in containers will be provided after meat inspection.
- All competitors must have a fire extinguisher
- All meat must be kept below 40 degrees prior to cooking.
- Electricity is not currently planned to be available for the amateur contest. Please plan accordingly.
- All competitors must have a three compartment wash station, a spray bottle with bleach water (one cap of bleach for one gallon of water) and a free flowing spigot of water with a catch bucket and soap for washing hands. (water cooler or similar is acceptable)
- Please take care to not damage the cooking area (no stakes, no ground fires, etc.)
- Parking will be provided onsite but away from the contest area.
- In consideration of your acceptance of this entry form ad fee, I, the undersigned intending to be legally bound do hereby for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims for damages I may have against the City of Bedford, KCBS, and their agents, successors and assigns for all injuries suffered to me in this event. I further grant permission to the City of Bedford and/or agents by them to use any photographs, videotapes or any record of this event for legitimate purpose.
- Backyard Participants will receive 10 wristbands for admission to the festival Friday night only!
Grand Champion – $100 plus “King of the Dunes” Trophy
1st Place Ribs – $75 plus Trophy
2nd Place Ribs – $50 plus Trophy
3rd Place Ribs – Trophy
1st Place Chicken – $75 plus Trophy
2nd Place Chicken – $50 plus Trophy
3rd Place Chicken – Trophy
Friday, August 29th, 2014
Backyard BBQ Contest Schedule
♫ 9:00-11:00am – Load in
♫ 12:00pm – Cooks Meeting
♫ 5:00pm – Judges Registration
♫ 5:30pm – Judges Meeting/Training
Turn In Times
♫ 6:30 – 6:45pm – Chicken
♫ 6:45 – 7:00pm – Ribs
♫ 7:30pm – 8:00pm – People’s Choice
9:00pm approximately on Main Stage
10pm – Load out or stay in your spot overnight (no electricity). Spot must be vacated by 10am on Saturday or $200 to move to BBQ town for the entire weekend (see camper option for more details).